Saturday, June 6, 2009

An Overreaction?

According to my previous entry (Unexpected Interview!), I mentioned that I went to the campus to meet up with two friends. There, we bumped into another friend (let's call him friend E). He too was there to make a few changes for his program as well. And so, together we waited for the teacher to finish his class. While we waited, we talked about the things we did during the past month. Then, he asked if we (friend C and I) have seen Teresa and went out together with her. It didn't surprise us that he was concerned with her whereabouts since we (sort of) guessed that he has a crush on her (although he denied it, it was quite obvious). Friend C told him that she hasn't seen Teresa lately. She also told him that Teresa and I had a fight, and are no longer friends. "Those two won't talk to each other because they got into a fight - but it was really her fault" is all she said.

If you have read my previous posts about Teresa, you may know what the fight was all about. For those who haven't, Teresa called me a lowlife because I disliked the fact that someone left his backpack on a seat at our table without asking if the seat was taken - even after I told him that it was. It didn't mean that I yelled at him or made any further requests for him to remove it. The bag was still sitting there when they returned from their trip to their lockers ten minutes later. I only expressed my discomfort and suddenly she insulted like that (more details in "A Lowlife?" and "Can't Believe It's Coming to an End" entries)!

Upon hearing that from friend C, he immediately asked me what I did to Teresa! I couldn't believe my ears! He actually thought that I was at fault! Seeing my reaction, Friend C quickly told him that it was Teresa, not me. He paused and stared at friend C for a moment. Slowly, he hesitantly asked what she has done. Friend C looked at me, expecting an answer from me and he followed her gaze. Without looking at either of them, I simply said, "I'm not going to talk about it to avoid ruining her impression in your mind" and it was quite clear that I was pissed at him.

Should I have reacted that way? He didn't know what had happened between us. Besides, if he truly does like her, he would not expect anything negative from Teresa. I guess I shouldn't have snapped at him like that and I'm starting to feel a little guilty. One thing's for sure: the memory of that insult is still heavily engraved in my mind. Don't know if I would ever forget about it, or at the least, get over it...

No comments: