Thursday, March 11, 2010

Grandma, I'll Miss You Always

I received a phone call from dad last Tuesday. He told me that grandma had a stroke and was sent to the hospital. Upon hearing that, I immediately made my way there to see her. According to the doctor, 75% of her brain was gone and only 25% remained. Her chance for full recovery was minimal.

At the hospital, grandma was already in coma and and seemed to have problems breathing. She relied on oxygen and despite her coma state, she would open her mouth and gasp for air (or seemed so) every now and then. At the time, it felt like she was in some sort of pain. I stood by her bedside for two hours or so until I had to return home as I had class at 8:30 in the morning.

The next day, I called dad to find out how she was. I even planned to visit her on Saturday. Unfortunately, she passed away on Thursday morning and the funeral was scheduled that Saturday.

At the funeral, people cried and sobbed and I stood there, emotionless. When I saw her lying in the coffin, she seemed quite peaceful, as if fast asleep.

Afterwards, we gathered and had a meal together. At the restaurant, people ate and ironically laughed at each other's jokes. I couldn't bear to even smile and not to mention laugh. In my mind, I repeated the same question over and over again: "How can these people laugh? Their mother and grandmother just passed and yet they are able to laugh?!" It was quite shocking to me. The ones who were crying and sobbing at the funeral were now laughing at the restaurant. How ironic!

I knew the time would come for her to pass, but didn't expect it to come this soon, especially when I visited her the week before. At that time, she was quite healthy and complained how her joints hurt, giving her problems with walking.

All I hope for is peace of mind and happiness for those who misses her and that they could move on.

No comments: