Thursday, June 25, 2009

First Day at Work!

Finally, a chance for me to type in my blog!!
Last week Wednesday, the manager of the store called me and asked me to work that day! Unfortunately, I wasn't near ready and so I requested to start the next day...

My first shift was scheduled at 10am, when the store opens. The assistant manager led me to the back room and gave me an apron, which was the store's uniform, to put on. Then she gave me a training checklist for the cash register and allowed me to spend my first two hours there "playing" with the machine. When I truly started working on the cash, I was quite nervous. I was afraid that I might overcharge the customers, or worse, undercharge them! Fortunately, the customers were nice enough to not rush me and gave me lots of encouragement along the way. My coworkers were also pretty nice and didn't show any irritation when I asked them for help. Instead, they were happy (or seemed to at least) to guide and walk me through each step. Before I knew it, my first shift was over and it was time to get home.

I continued to work on cash for the next two days and I couldn't believe how many people came to do last minute shopping for Father's Day. I didn't really feel the rush until Saturday. There were huge tides of people coming into the store and purchasing indefinite amount of gifts. Of course, the pressure to work faster was unavoidable (I'm still pleased with myself as I handled it quite well). After several herds of people coming in and paying at the counter, the day was finally over! My feet were in pain (from long hours of standing), and my shoulders and legs were sore!

Business was slower for the next few days, granting me more time to explore the store. I hope I will continue to do well in my first job and make lots of money (enough to help my mom, and perhaps pay for tuition and books). For now, all I can really do is to work hard in my studies and do well at work.

Wish me luck!

No comments: