Monday, July 20, 2009

The Truth About Retail

Wow!! It's been two weeks since my last entry! I suppose I've been quite busy lately. Despite the exhaustion, I feel great - especially when I make a small contribution to the household by giving my mom $100 after each payroll! I guess the pride gave me a confidence boost!

I was working on Friday night (until closing) with a co-worker who worked at the store since last year Christmas. He wasn't happy with the job, especially with the (minimum) wage. He also mentioned something that I didn't really give much thought into until this morning. He said that retail stores are able give their employees such a low income is because of the simplicity of the job itself. Anyone can work in retail and learning how to do the job doesn't take much time, and he's right!

As someone who has no employment experiences whatsoever, my choices are quite limited and retail does seem like the only thing I'm capable of. To be honest, I am very grateful that I'm able to find a job during the current economy. No matter how bad the job really is, you are making money from that job - which is good enough for me.

I do plan to continue working at the store for the next two/three years. Let's just hope I'll be able to accomplish that!

Wish me luck!!

No comments: